Sunday, March 1, 2020

Featured Author – Abigail Owen



Have I got a special guest in the Reading Nook for you all today.  This author is extremely versatile, I know her best for her paranormal romances, but some of you might now her for one of her contemporary pen names.  Please give a warm welcome to Ms Abigail Owen.



Ms Owen has brought us such wonderful books like her Fire’s Edge series.  She just has this way with her dragons that brings out an amazing story with a steamy romance that is sure to make you swoon.  Like most alpha males, these guys do not go quietly to their mated life.  But Ms Owen makes each book an intense journey full of emotions and danger that keeps me coming back.



The Mate (Fire’s Edge book 1)

Published to Amazon on September 17, 2018

Author Abigail Owen
Amazon



A prequel to the scorching paranormal romance, The Boss. 


Maddie Thompson’s life just fell down a rabbit hole. Finding out she's a dragon shifter was one thing—she never quite fit into the human world, and this new reality feels…strangely right. However, discovering the next step is to choose a mate, and if she chooses wrong she'll die, is the other side of crazy. Especially when she already left a piece of her heart with someone who didn't want it.


To say dragon enforcer Fallon Conleth was shocked when the Mating Council summoned him as a potential mate for a newly found dragon doesn’t quite cover it. A mate is rare and precious and many dragons never find theirs. Fallon isn’t sure he’s worthy of the honor, not when so many deserve it more. He’ll just go through the motions and return home alone…until he sees Maddie. The human woman he reluctantly let walk away.


Fallon already broke Maddie's heart once, but if he can't convince her that they're meant to be, she'll die... and he won't be far behind.



Official published review:

No pressure

This was a fantastic read. The author set up this series perfectly with this brief glimpse into dragon culture and the upheaval in their social structure. I actually read this book as the second book instead of the prequel as it was intended, so I think I had a little jump on the understanding of the storyline. This book can be read as a stand-alone, but it has certainly launched me into wanting to read the next book all over again. I can’t wait to read where the author takes her dragons next.

5 stars

A GR BB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R16DXXMD196S7U


I would love to regale you with more of Ms Owen’s wonderful books, but she kind of stole my thunder and brought them up in the interview, so you will have to wait for them.  But if you don’t know, Ms Owen also writes Steamy Contemporary Romance & Romantic Comedy as Kadie Scott



and Sweet Contemporary Romance as Kristen McKanagh



If you want to stay up to date on what is going on with all 3 names, you can join Ms Owen’s Reader Group.  I myself am a member and encourage you to join us nerds.




When did you first realize that you wanted to be an author?

When I was in 4th grade and placed in a writing contest at school. Writing has always been my outlet. And always creative writing. It probably helped that my mom was a high school English teacher and we’re both readers. 😊



How long does it typically take you to write one of your books?

I write a very fast first draft in 4-6 weeks depending on the length of the book.  The first draft for me is my least favorite part of the process so I try to get it over with as quickly as possible. The first draft lays out the bare bones of the book and is usually about 80% of the story. Depending on deadlines and how I feel about the quality of the first draft, I spend another 2-6 weeks on subsequent drafts where I fill the blanks, adjust any issues, and add the spit and polish. I LOVE the drafting and editing phases where I really get to tweak and then perfect.



Do you usually write one book at a time or do you find yourself working on multiple books as your muse takes you?

I prefer to work on one book at a time. However, with my deadline schedule I find that I’m usually working on a first draft of one while working through a second draft or edits on another project at any given time.



What is your work schedule like when you are writing?

I work from home as a full-time author and mom, as well as running my own business, Authors On A Dime, to help other self-pub’d authors. A typical day starts with getting the kids up, ready, and out the door, it’s walk the dog and then time to pick up the house, start laundry, etc. Then I spend several hours working on the latest book(s). I spend some time on social media for marketing purposes. Most days have Authors ON A Dime stuff to do (run the business or work on projects–mostly book covers). I’m a VPA for Alyssa Day, so if she has anything for me, I also work on that. Kids get home and it’s activities for them (depending on the day) and homework. Then the nighttime stuff (dinner, downtime, bet time, etc.). My evenings are usually spent with my hubby in front of the TV binge watching shows, usually with my computer in my lap. While watching I work more on whatever didn’t get done that day, be it books, social media, or work. Phew!



What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I don’t write a book the same way. I have a few tricks I use on each book, but some write themselves, some I plot more heavily, some I pants all the way, some I write out order, some in chronological order. I use OneNote and take a tone of notes to keep on top of details and where I want to go.



Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

All over the place. Sometimes its dreams. I have very vivid dreams. Sometimes it’s being inspired by one particular aspect of a book or movie and taking that detail and making it into my own world. Mostly I think in scenes. I’ll picture a moment between two characters, or a situation my heroine might be stuck in, and I build from there. I find the more I write, the more ideas pop into my head. I keep a list now for when I’m between books (though that’s rare since I write series).



When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I started my first book when I was 12 and got about 100 pages into it. I still have that draft. 😊 Though I started many more, I didn’t finish my first book until I was thirty. I don’t know what it was about that particular book—Blue Violet—but it was easy to finish. Once I realized I could finish a book, they haven’t stopped!



What do you like to do when you are not writing?

I don’t sit still well, so I’m usually working on things like book covers for other authors. I love doing graphics work. I love spending time with my family. We’re big on movies, playing games, and travel, especially skiing and summers in Estes Park, CO. I’m a wanna be runner, but that’s been harder lately with injuries. And I love my puppies!



What does your family think of your writing?

They are incredibly supportive and proud. They love to tell people that I’m a writer and share my successes with others. Having that support system is critical to the faith I have in myself. It’s so easy in this business to just give up or move on to something that is a guaranteed paycheck.



What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

That I should give George Lukas a pass for all the little details he messed up or had to go back and re-explain. In a world that large, keeping track of details is tough!



Out of all of the books you have written, which is your favorite?

Lol. It’s always the one I just finished or just released. This is partly because I learn more with each book written, and so feel like each new one is better than the last. It’s not always true, because some books are harder and some easier than the others to write. So, I have a few favorites just for me. I love Blue Violet because it’s the first book I finished and started this journey. I love Tieryn’s Fury, because Shane is one of my favorite heroes and I loved his journey. I love Andromeda’s Fall because Andie might be my favorite heroine. I love Her Demigod Complex because I had a lot of fun with a more lighthearted story and torturing those characters. I love The Rogue King because that story just flowed out of me and was meant to be written.



I hope you don’t mind the interruption before we move on, but you have just mentioned some of my favorite books in your library.  I have had Blue Violet in my “To be read” folder for some time, but I finally got around to reading it when I was preparing for this piece and I can’t wait to read the next book.  There was a complete lack of steam in this book, but the romance was off the charts and I just loved the way the characters interacted, and the story built throughout the length of the book.



Blue Violet (The Svatura Series book 1)

Published to Amazon on October 5, 2015

Author Abigail Owen
Amazon



When fairy tales turn into nightmares...

Ellie Aubrey has spent most of her unnaturally long life hiding her extraordinary abilities from the world. On the run from the shape shifting wolves who murdered her family, she risks discovery in order to secretly watch over another group of similarly gifted people, determined they won’t suffer the same fate.

Alex Jenner has come home to protect his family from an unknown danger lurking in the woods. Suspicious of the new girl in town, he challenges Ellie in ways that will spark one of two possible outcomes: they’ll spontaneously combust, or she’ll lose control of the one power she’s fought so hard to contain.

In this fairy tale, the dragon the prince must slay is also the princess who holds his heart.



Official published review:

The power of us all

The story within these pages is absolutely amazing. I love the relationships that developed and grew between the characters. I can’t say I would ever want to return to high school, but in those halls Ellie found what her and her twin had been missing for so many years. The author did a fantastic job with the story, keeping it exciting and moving. I can’t wait to read the next book.

4 stars

A GR BB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R31J6LDYF3AJ5V


I haven’t read Tieryn’s Fury yet because I only just finished reading Andromeda’s Fall, but I can completely understand why you feel Andie is your favorite heroine.  She is such a strong character and she is willing to go it on her own rather then put anyone she loves in danger, even when that people/group is strong enough to protect themselves.  But if Andie is your favorite heroine then Jaxon has to be just as fantastic as a hero.  He might be this big strong alpha of his dare, but this little slip of a woman is absolutely perfect for him.  No wonder he and Andie are fated mates.  I can’t wait to get through the rest of the series because I can’t imagine them all not being just as wonderful as the first one.



Tieryn’s Fury (Shadowcat Nation book 3)

Published to Amazon on May 6, 2016

Author Abigail Owen
Amazon



The day Shane Callahan lost his wife and was forced to run from the only home they’d ever known was the day he’d vowed he’d kill every last man responsible. He’s waited years in hiding, but is finally on the verge of taking his revenge. Until he is assigned to protect a Healer and is forced to halt in his quest.

As the Alpha’s daughter and the Healer in her Dare of mountain lion shifters, Tieryn McGraw has enjoyed a privileged life. As the fiancé of the next Alpha in line, she expects that to continue. But then she ends up on the run with a man determined not to like her…and who makes her question everything about her decisions and her future.

Shane needs her to heal more than his body. But can Tieryn heal his soul and prove to him that love is a higher purpose than revenge?



Andromeda’s Fall (Shadowcat Nation)

Published to Amazon on December 10, 2014

Author Abigail Owen
Amazon



Andromeda Reynolds is being hunted. After witnessing her mother's violent death at the hands of a pack of wolf shifters, Andie has devoted her life to protecting her community of cougar shifters from a similar fate. But now, a greater threat lies within her own pack, and she must run. If she stays, Kyle Carstairs will force their mating, seeking the added political power their union would provide.

Andie would rather chew off her own foot than end up with Kyle. Though, knowing him, she won't live long either way. Andie's only hope of survival is to mate Jaxon Keller, the Alpha of the Keller Dare with which she is seeking asylum. But before she can get to him, Andie must first go through A.J., one of the Alpha's Protectors. What Andie doesn't realize is that A.J. has secrets of his own. All Andie knows is that the incredibly frustrating shifter insists on challenging her story, her skills, her trust… and her heart.



Official published review:

Let her lion roar

I enjoyed this take on shifters and the society the author has built. I love how she focused on the cats with a side of bear and wolves, I love the big cat shifters. This book was lite on the steam, but the romance was in full supply and it made for an excellent read. Throw in the action of the story creating an exciting story that was the perfect beginning of a series. I can’t wait to read the next book and see where the author takes her characters.

5 stars

A GR BB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1UIA17EOFDVGF


Some of you might have already read Her Demigod Complex, but Ms Owen just re-released this book under a new publisher with a brand-new name (The Demigod Complex) and a steamy new cover in February.  I haven’t had the pleasure to read this book yet, but the blurb sounds like it is going to burn up the pages.  Check it out for yourself.



The Demigod Complex (Brimstone Inc book 1)

Published to Amazon on February 17, 2020

Author Abigail Owen
Amazon



When Lyleia Naiad was head-hunted by Brimstone, Inc., for her job as Executive Assistant to a high-powered billionaire demigod, she was given one directive—do NOT fall in love with Castor Dioskouri. Doesn’t matter if he’s the son of Zeus and can electrify a room with a single glance. As an ex-nymph, she possesses a unique ability—a gift from the goddesses to protect nymphs from the randy gods—to resist her boss's charms.


Or so she thought.


He insists she accompany him to an alpha wolf shifter mating ceremony, an event where the pheromones fly, and so do clothes...and inhibitions.


Goddesses save her, because Castor has stolen into Lyleia’s heart, and she’s not so sure she can hold out much longer...


This novella was previously self published but has undergone a complete re-edit. Scenes were added, things were changed, but the kissing still remains!


For those of you who love Ms Owen’s dragons, The Rogue King is a branch off of the originals.  I love how this new series takes us to the heart of the dragon people and gives us an in depth look into the turmoil we only see glimpses of in the other series.  This book was especially amazing.  I just could not put it down once I started and now, I am going to be in a constant state of suspense until the next book comes out in August.  If you haven’t already read this book, you are not going to want to miss out on all of the excitement that happens in this story.



The Rogue King (Inferno Rising book 1)

Published to Amazon on June 30, 2019

Author Abigail Owen
Amazon



Kasia Amon is a master at hiding. Who―and what―she is makes her a mark for the entire supernatural world. Especially dragon shifters. To them, she's treasure to be taken and claimed. A golden ticket to their highest throne. But she can't stop bursting into flames, and there's a sexy dragon shifter in town hunting for her...

As a rogue dragon, Brand Astarot has spent his life in the dark, shunned by his own kind, concealing his true identity. Only his dangerous reputation ensures his survival. Delivering a phoenix to the feared Blood King will bring him one step closer to the revenge he's waited centuries to take. No way is he letting the feisty beauty get away.

But when Kasia sparks a white-hot need in him that's impossible to ignore, Brand begins to form a new plan: claim her for himself...and take back his birthright.



Official published review:

Reborn by fire

Just when I thought this author’s work couldn’t possibly get better, she gives us this fantastic story. She has taken her dragons to a different continent and pulled the action to the royals and the usurpers, filling the pages with the action and adventure that I have come to expect from this author. I love that there is this amazing love story right in the midst of an epic journey to a throne. The addition of the Phoenix adds another element to her dragons and spices up the story. I found it impossible to put this book down once I started reading and I can’t wait to read the next installment.

5 stars

A GR BB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2O1S7ZDF6A1XV


What do you think makes a good story?

For me it’s the characters. I fall in love with characters and they become friends in my head. I have to have characters who are redeemable. I can’t stand stories (cough-anything by Hemingway-cough) with characters who have no redeeming qualities. Why would I want to read about those people? After characters, great world building, fast paced plots, fascinating information/facts/history, and hot romance are all recipes for a great book!



As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

A writer. So, I’m living the dream! I also wanted to be Robert Osborne on TCM and get to research classic movies and interview actors and introduce them on TV. That would’ve been awesome!


I always find it so amazing when an author gets to be exactly what they wanted to be when they were a child.  I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.  I know I would not have wanted to be on air but doing the research for that would have been just as awesome as being Robert Osborne.  Okay that is just rude, no need to point out the fact that I am 41.  That doesn’t mean I know what I want to be, although I feel like this blog is putting me one step closer to where I see myself in the future.



Well enough about me, be sure to continue reading for a little bit more background on the author and show her some love by stopping by her social media sites.  Ms Owen is not an author that you already follow, you are surely missing out on some fantastic books.  She has so much coming to us this year and you can see it all on her Coming Soon page.



One last thing before you go, don’t forget to fill out the form and see if you are the lucky reader who wins a print book out of my prize box.  As always, you can click on any of the pictures or links to head over to Amazon and add them to your "To be read" folder.



Happy Reading

Sydney




Multi-award-winning paranormal romance author, Abigail Owen, loves plots that move hot and fast, feisty heroines with sass, alpha heroes with heart, a dash of snark, and oodles of sexy shifters! Other titles include wife, mother, Star Wars geek, ex-competitive skydiver, spreadsheet lover, Dr. Seuss quoter, eMBA, organizational guru, Texan, Aggie, and chocoholic.



Abigail grew up consuming books and exploring the world through her writing. She attempted to find a practical career related to her favorite pastime by earning a degree in English Rhetoric (Technical Writing). However, she swiftly discovered that writing without imagination is not nearly as fun as writing with it.



10+ years since finishing her first book, Abigail is now a multi-award-winning author who has written 30+ novels/novellas/short stories under 2 (soon to be 3) pen names with more to come. She is also the owner/operator of Authors On A Dime, a company which provides services to help authors like herself. Abigail loves every part of the publishing journey and considers herself damn lucky to be living out her dream every day.



Abigail currently resides in Austin, Texas, with her own personal hero (who she totally married!) and their two children, who are growing up way too fast.



Author’s Website:  https://abigailowen.com/

Author’s Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/Abigail.Owen.Books/

Author’s Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/abigailowenauthor/

Author’s Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Abigail-Owen/e/B0090LJRCW

Author’s Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6517455.Abigail_Owen
Author’s BookBub:  https://www.bookbub.com/authors/abigail-owen




Click HERE to go fill out the form and be entered in a giveaway for a print book from my prize box.  Book may be different then image shown.  Drawing will be held on March 11, 2020.


#featuredauthor #thedemigodcomplex #brimstoneinc #shadowcatnation #svatura #infernorising #firesedge #entangledamara #paranormalromance #themate #therougeking #andromedasfall #thewildrosepressinc #tierynsfury #nextgreatread #5starreview #blueviolet #giveaway #printbook

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally removed the original post :-( (OMG! Wow!!! Thank you so much Sydney. What a fantastic spotlight and reviews. You absolutely made my day and made this dumb cold take a pause. :)) You are so very welcome! I can't wait to finish reading the rest of the books in the series. :-)

      Delete