Friday, January 3, 2020

Adventures in Costuming - A Christmas Carol Edition 2019




Every year I feel like I spend my entire holiday season creating costumes for one Christmas performance or another.  That’s right from October until usually around the middle of December I am hard at work creating dance costumes.  Don’t misconstrue, I work all year long on costumes, but the holidays and from April until the middle of June are my busiest seasons.

This year I got the joy of working with Charm City Ballet to bring a new look to their Spirits as they took the stage with Scrooge in A Christmas Carol.  This was CCBs 5th year putting on the production.  Every year they bring a little bit more to this holiday classic and I was excited to take this year to give the Spirits a new look to really compliment the beauty of the dancers and the choreography.

Over the course the course of 3 months, the Spirits went from this……




To this….





We brought a fresh new look with a more fitted bodice, new romantic tutus, and sparkling new headpieces.  Do you know it takes a lot to make a corps of Spirits ready for the stage? For this corps of 10 it took 120 yards of tulle, 40 yards of material, 700 yards of thread, 30 yards of seam binding, 50 sets of hooks and eyes, 5 yards of elastic, 20 decorative buttons, 20 yards of pearls, 20 yards of silver beads, 6 yards of trim, 6 yards of horse hair webbing, and hundreds of hours of time.





 Between all of that there are fittings, and my actual job, keeping up with my blog schedule, and of course taking care of my daughters and pets.  But before we know it, the costumes are loaded in my van, okay yes, I call my van Costume 1, but I feel like I run around costumes way more than I do people anymore.


We also added a few new Party Gowns.




Including a morning of the first performance addition.  Good thing my living room has been turned into my sewing room and I have tons of material on hand. 




It’s so wonderful that CCB manages to get a lot of volunteers to help out or we might still be sewing on hooks and eyes onto costumes, yes, I know that means the show would be a little late.  Luckily, we had a few rock stars helping out with the last-minute hand sewing.  We really couldn’t have done it without all of their help.  This is such a tremendous amount of work to put on a full-length production and takes so many levels of participation.  But once the curtain goes up and the lights come on you can see why it’s so worth it.  To learn about the jobs and people required to put on a performance, check out the CCB sneak peek page

Here is my little part of the page:

COSTUMES

[SYDNEY]
Tell us your role in the production of ACC and what that means.
I am a costumer. I collaborate with the artistic director to discuss and execute costume design details by altering and repairing current costumes, and creating and constructing new ones when needed. I usually start my work when the cast is set and continue until the last curtain falls for the season.
What are some of the most important aspects of your job and why are they important to the show?
I think the most important aspect of being a costumer is helping the directors share their vision of the show with the audience. Sometimes this might mean 
late nights and multiple trips back to the drawing board until we are seeing the same thing, but it’s all worth it in the end.

What are your favorite parts of the work?
I love when the show finally comes together, and everyone is back stage doing hair, putting on headpieces and costumes, when the music starts and the dancers take the stage, the excitement of the quick changes and the last minute repairs and just knowing that I helped the audience enjoy the show.
Anything else you’d like to add?
I have worked on many productions throughout the years, some requiring more of my creativity than others, but I think my favorite productions are the ones I get to work on with Becca and Pete. I love how they really put their hearts into the creation of the Christmas Carol both in the way they work with the dancers and the way they are always ready to bring a fresh look to the show. I think if you are looking for a new tradition to celebrate the holidays watching CCBs performance of A Christmas Carol is a great idea. Every year it’s just that little bit different and will never get old.

Be sure to go show some love to CCB by taking in a performance if you are in the area, donating to their performance goals, or just following their pages.  You are sure to enjoy watching as this company continues to grow.

Happy Reading
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment