Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Recipes in your favorite books – Do you make them?


Recipes in your favorite books – Do you make them?



I’m sure we have all read books where there was a recipe, or a type of food mentioned in it that we thought to ourselves “Oh, I just have to try that!”  Now how many of you have gone the extra step and actually tried making or purchasing the food noted?  Me, Me, Meeeeeee!!!!  That’s right this girl has.  Let me share a little secret with you, I have been doing it since I was a kid.  Does that make me a total geek?  Dork?  Whatever????  Well, if that is the case I totally am one.

The first recipe I ever made from a book was Tooth Burger Stew, it was from an Encyclopedia Brown book and I think it was: 

Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake!
Listed on Amazon September 1, 1991
Author Donald J. Sobel





Today I am up to my old antics.  I think I might have discussed that I love Alanea Alder’s Bewitched & Bewildered series, maybe a time or two, okay, okay!  No need to shout, I know it has been at least a half a dozen times.  Well anyway, in the first book they are always talking about this HoneyBun Cake and today I made it for an office meeting we are having tomorrow.  Doesn’t it look scrumptious?



I think Marius, the house McKenzie squire, might be a little perturbed with me though as he is very fastidious when it comes to a neat kitchen work area.  As you can see, I might have not been as neat as he prefers.  Sorry.


Not to fear, I totally managed to clean up after myself.  šŸ˜Š

If you have not read this series, you need to click on the book below to grab your copy today.  I think you are going to love it!  Especially if you make a HoneyBun Cake to enjoy while you are reading.  (Shh, don’t tell the staff, but I totally stole a piece, so I could see if it was as good as it sounded and looked)



My Commander (Bewitched and Bewildered book 1)
Published to Amazon on October 3, 2014
Author Alanea Alder



There is no actual recipe in the book, so I went hunting and came up with this recipe.  I hope you like it as much as I did.

HoneyBun Cake

Prep – 15min – Cook – 40min – Ready in – 1hr 25min

Ingredients:
1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
¾ cup vegetable oil
½ cup water
1 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  Grease a 9x13-inch cake pan.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil, and water to make a smooth batter.  In a separate bowl, stir together the brown sugar with cinnamon.  Pour half the cake batter into the prepared baking pan, and sprinkle the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture over the batter.  Pour the remaining batter over the cinnamon mixture, and gently swirl the batter a few times with a table knife.

Bake the cake in the preheated oven until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes.

Stir the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla extract together in a bowl to make a smooth, runny icing.  Pour the icing over the cake while it’s still hot;  allow to cool before serving.

What are some of your favorite recipes or foods that you have gotten out of a book?  I want to try them all.

Happy Reading
Sydney











No comments:

Post a Comment